Our GFWC Connection



The General Federation of Women's Clubs is an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.  The origin of GFWC is traced back to 1868, when journalist Jane Cunningham Croly (1829-1901) was denied admission to an all-male club because of her gender.  Coly's response was swift she formed a club for women, organizing under the name Sorosis, the Greek word meaning "an aggregation; a sweet flavor of many fruits."  In 1890, the women's clubs from across the country joined hands to become the General Federation of Women's Clubs.  More than a century later GFWC continues to grow and adapt to the changing and diverse lifestyles and concerns of women, and remains one of the strongest and most influential membership organizations in the country.

 

General Federation of Women's Clubs

1734 N. Street NW

Washington, DC 20036-2990

202-347-3168

GFWC.org

 

 

GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs

4444 Florida National Drive

Lakeland, FL 33813

863-647-2642

GFWCFlorida.org




                                                               Home            Contact Us          GFWC.org              GFWCFlorida
                                                                                    gfwcgreaterocalawc@yahoo.com